Thursday, June 3, 2010

Motherhood
Its funny I had a client come in yesterday who is expecting her first child. Threw the whole appointment she expressed how stressed, sad, happy and all of her emotions of soon becoming a mother. She asked if I loved being a mother and if I would change anything and if I had any advice for her.
My advice was hopefully helpful but maybe not. Im sure anyone who is a mother can totaly relate. Mother hood is the most amazing accomplishment I have ever and ever will accomplish. I feel lucky and blessed to stay home every day all day with my kids. They are my little buddys everyday and I get to watch them grow up. I went on and told her you can never prepare for the love you will have for you children nor the stress.
It was funny to me because she said "stress I dont think itll be stressful as a mother." I went on and told her its not bad stress and maybe its not stress. Maybe its just the worry that comes with motherhood. I went on to tell the dumb things that i stress/worry about. Was I being a good mother, if i was showing my love enough, Do they sleep enough, should I read all the books about parenthood, are they eating enough fruits and veggies, should i put them in charter or public, do i give them to much materialistic things, do i discipline enough or to much, are people being nice to them, do they have friends at school, are they confident enough, I want them to always be kind to one another, they are only little once are they having enough fun, yes what the heck is enough fun, do I tell them I love them enough and so on.
After she left I thought that I probably traumatized her. Im sure some of you out there probably think that I stress to much and Im the first to admit I do. But Im sure any mother can hopefully relate.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

I think that until you become an actual mother it is SO hard to explain to anyone, even an expectant mother, the deep down bone rattling love and emotion that you will feel for your kids! We are all crazy worriers when it comes to our kids and all of us feel inadequate at times :) But we keep on going doing our best!

Harris Family said...

Haley I think you are an incredible mother. I look up to you so much and would love to be just like you when I have kids. Thanks for your example. You have incredible kids as well. Can't wait to have boys of my own someday ;)

Cami said...

No you dont stress too much, those are just the things mothers worry about on a daily basis. Maybe its not "stress" persay, but its something. It doesn't keep me up all night just yet, however i did stress about what dang preschool to put my kid in. gees.

xoxo

Jen said...

I had to laugh when I read the part about her not feeling like Motherhood would be stressful :) I know I have all those worries and then some. You are a wonderful mother and I don't think we can ever worry enough. I am glad you posted this its good to think about!

Steffy said...

I love the advice you gave your client. Being a mother is super stressful, but just in a totally different way then you would think. I totally stress out about all the things that you do and even more! I think it's just part of loving some one so much.